The Huntington Elks Lodge is in the process of distributing dictionaries to every third grade student at Jefferson Primary School and Jack Abrams STEM Magnet School in the Huntington School District.
The dictionaries are viewed by district officials as “excellent resources” for students. John J. Safarik, a trustee and past exalted ruler of Huntington Elks Lodge #1565 recently contacted the district and indicated the organization’s desire to donate the books.
A Student’s Dictionary includes the traditional aspects of such publications plus weights and measures tables, periodic table of elements, maps of continents, the text of both the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution and facts about the 50 states and countries around the world. There’s even a history of U.S. Presidents.
The Huntington Elks Lodge celebrated its 87th anniversary last June.
“This project is a mandate of the Elks and each year, depending on the funds available, we donate to local community schools the books that are available,” wrote Mr. Safarik to the district. “The Dictionary Project was created in 1995. The primary focus of it is to promote literacy among children in third grade as they transition to learning how to read to identify and use information.” The initiative cost the local Elks Club approximately $4 per book.
The Huntington Elks Lodge #1565 is located at 195 Main Street at the gateway to Huntington Village. It celebrated its 87th anniversary last June 29. The club traces its genesis to the Good Fellowship Club formed in August 1924. It was later transformed into an Elks Lodge.
“In the early days, the club had no home of their own,” the Huntington Elks website states. “They met in rooms over a store, which was located on New York Ave. a bit south of the Huntington Theater. They looked around for a home and found a residential building on the corner of East Main Street and Gibson Avenue. Forming a holding corporation and purchasing the stock thereof, they were able to take possession of the house, the present home of the Huntington Elks. It was here that they started the activities in the interest of the community for which Elks are noted. To Elks everywhere they offered hospitality. Their reputation became widespread and as good as their name implied.”
The Huntington Elks Lodge was formally initiated during a ceremony held on the evening of June 29, 1929 in the St. Patrick’s School auditorium on Main Street.
For more information about the Huntington Elks Lodge call (631) 271-1565 or send a message to [email protected].