Acclaimed social media safety expert Josh Ochs is coming to Huntington High School on Thursday night (October 20) for a presentation about how to protect kids from online dangers and how to use digital tools to help young people shine.
The Huntington High School PTSA and the J. Taylor Finley Middle School PTA are sponsoring the social media forum in collaboration with the Cold Spring Harbor School District. All parents and teachers are invited to attend. Mr. Ochs will begin his presentation at 6 p.m. sharp.
The PTA is sponsoring a social media
safety presentation on Thursday night .
“Josh Ochs is a true expert in the field of technology and social media and we are lucky to have him here, all the way from California,” Huntington Principal Brenden Cusack said. “Josh will be touring a number of area school districts with his important message of positive digital citizenship. We are fortunate to have him speaking to our middle and high school students during the day on October 20, with important tips for remaining ‘light, bright and polite’ online. At night he will shift to a parent-only presentation for Huntington and Cold Spring Harbor parents, where he will help us all to get ahead of the curve so we can help guide our kids as they navigate cyberspace. I am very grateful to our high school and Finley PTAs for funding these very special presentations.”
The following topics will be covered:
• What apps are unsafe and which ones kids should be encouraged to use.
• How to analyze your Google results to see what colleges will find.
• How to bury bad Google results from other users with a name similar to yours.
• How to set your social media footprint now to ensure being college ready later.
• Examples of good and bad posts that colleges and others may find.
• Examples from real seniors that are using social media correctly.
• Tips to use Google search like a college and future employer.
• Seven networks kids need to be on to shine online.
While the event is free to anyone interested, organizers are asking that folks register online by visiting .
To watch safety videos prior to the presentation visit . To join Footprint Friday to monitor your child’s online footprint visit .