Huntington School Board members have appointed Christine Hoffman as a probationary English to Speakers of Other Languages teacher, effective February 27. She will be eligible for tenure on February 27, 2021.
Ms. Hoffman obtained a BS degree in special education at Dowling College in 2012 and a master’s degree in education at St. John’s University in 2016. Prior to coming to Huntington, she taught at Dimitrios & Georgia Kaloidis Parochial School in Brooklyn, P.S. 39 – Queens School for Leadership and Excellence and as a third grade special education/self-contained classroom teacher in Amityville.
Ms. Hoffman has been assigned to Jefferson Primary School. She replaces longtime Huntington faculty member Brian Foster who resigned to assume and administrative post in another Suffolk district.
District officials reviewed 12 applications and interviewed nine candidates prior to recommending Ms. Hoffman for appointment.
Trustees also took the following actions during their public meeting on February 6 in the Jack Abrams STEM Magnet School auditorium:
• Appointed Christina Gottlieb and Jessica-Lyn Barry as teaching assistants, effective February 7.
• Appointed Rosalie Digaudio (high school; social studies), Alison Hagedorn (high school; art), Jane Judson (high school; art) and Lauren Kotler (Jack Abrams STEM Magnet/Woodhull Intermediate; English as a new language) as long-term substitute teachers.
• Approved the return of elementary school classroom teacher Heather Flaherty from a child care leave of absence effective September 1.
• Appointed teachers Gina Carone, Dianna Molenko and Camille Tedeschi as after school educators at the high school.
• Appointed Jordan Gould as an alternative high school teacher for economics and participation in government.
• Adjusted teacher Aimee Antorino’s appointment as one of the high school newspaper advisors.
• Appointed teacher Steven Kroll as one of the high school newspaper advisors.
• Appointed high school teachers Kaitlyn Hanft and Ryan Fatscher as faculty advisors for the Model UN club.
• Appointed teachers Theresa Duffy, Edward Florea, Lynn Hefele, Mark Helstrom, Karen Mallow-Rizzo, Jeffrey Marciano, Tracey McManus, Dianna Molenko, Ingrid Moreira, Regina Murnane, Veronica Quinlan, Cinzia Reeves, Allison Rooney, Melissa Studdert and Timothy Witt as technology mentors in their respective building.
• Appointed Deborah Winans as a teacher-tutor for homeless children and youth. The stipend of $51.20 per hour for up to 200 hours will be covered by a Title I grant.
• Appointed Cable Jamison as speed, strength and conditioning coach at the high school for the spring semester.
• Appointed Eileen Gonzalez as high school parent liaison. The $1,000 stipend is covered by a Title III LEP grant.
• Approved a tenure appointment for teaching assistant Regina Askerberg, effective February 17.
• Accepted the resignations of teaching assistants Kristina Sair and Colleen Wanser and microcomputer repair technician Hugo Guardado Henriquez.
• Accepted the resignation for the purpose of retirement of Southdown School teacher aide Patricia Gaspari, effective March 1.
• Approved a child care related leave of absence for Flower Hill School reading teacher Kimberly Giani for the 2017/18 school year.
• Appointed Robin Brunet and Joan Lucana as three hour monitors at Jefferson Primary School.
• Appointed Julia Dunn as the Flower Hill School nurse, effective February 13.
• Approved leaves of absence for J. Taylor Finley Middle School teacher aides Elizabeth Meoli and Jacquelyn Smith and Finley security guard Tracie Philbert.
• Authorized Samantha Bindrim, Ashley Howard, Itzel Cedillo Rosas and Morgan Scimeca to work as per diem substitute teachers during the 2016/17 school year.
• Appointed Barbara Gross to work as a daily recurring substitute teacher.
• Authorized Steven Haddock and Thomas Hughes to work as per diem substitute custodians.
• Authorized Min Chin Cheung to work as a per diem substitute clerical.
• Authorized Mackenzie Maloney, Gregory Rorke and Megan Wilder to work as per diem substitute teacher aides.
• Approved Huntington School Board meeting dates for the 2017/18 school year.
• Approved a resolution opposing approval of the nomination of Betsy DeVos to serve as US secretary of education.
• Approved memorandums of agreement with the Associated Teachers of Huntington and the Huntington Chairperson’s Association related to a retirement incentive for faculty members who have passed their first eligibility for retirement.