Seniors Rebecca Caballero and Anna Gulizio capped off their Blue Devil track and field careers with strong performances in the pentathlon at last weekend’s Suffolk championships/state qualifier at Port Jefferson.
Caballero set a personal best with 2,608 points and placed fifth in the competition while Gulizio also turned in an excellent effort, compiling 2,409 points to place ninth.
“Rebecca and Anna each brought their unique talents to the stage in an effort to compete against the best multi-talented athletes in the county,” Anderson said.
The pentathlon is comprised of five events, including long jump, high jump, shot put, 100m hurdles and 800m run. It’s a grueling competition that demands athletes be exceedingly well-rounded in their talents.
Caballero took first in long jump with a new school record leap of 17-08.75 feet and hit a personal best in shot put with a throw of 29-08 feet.
Gulizio notched personal bests in hurdles (19.47 seconds), shot put (26-feet) and the 800m run (2:31.14).
Anderson was thrilled with how the duo performed. “They really laid it out on the line and gave it their all,” he said.
In other action for Huntington at the county championships/state qualifier:
• Erika Varady and Keily Rivas sparkled in the 1500m race-walk, challenging the best in Suffolk. Varady finished sixth (7:01.99) with Rivas taking seventh (7:02.97). “Both smashed the previous school record of 7:08 set last week by Varady,” Anderson said. “Considering they are only sophomores, the future looks promising.”
• Hadley Clayton placed 18th in the 800m run in 2:27.20.
• Sophie Dellecave finished 17th in the 400m hurdles in 71.19 seconds.
• Marina Ruzic, Sophie Dellecave, Hadley Clayton and Alexandra McKenzie placed 11th in the 4x400m relay in 4:13.52.
• Nepahr Durand tossed 92-06 feet in shot put for 17th place. Jolena Smith finished 20th with a toss of 88-11 feet.
• Nicole Abbondandelo placed seventh in steeplechase with a season best time of 7:28.50.
• Alexandra McKenzie cracked the nine-foot barrier in pole vault to finish 11th with a personal best effort.
• The Huntington 4x800m relay team of Marina Ruzic, Hadley Clayton, Sophie Dellecave and Nicole Abbondandelo placed 12th in a time of 9:59.17.
“This season had its ups and down, but when it came down to it, I would have not changed a thing,” Anderson said. “Each season has its differences, both positives and negatives, but each season is a season for growth. I am really proud of how each athlete poured their guts out on the track and while the seniors will be missed, the underclassmen are ready and able to step up.”
The Blue Devils are bidding farewell to seniors Rebecca Cabellero, Louise Koepele, Alexis Pastorelli, Anna Gulizio, Marina Ruzic and Jolena Smith.