Huntington School Board members have approved requests to resign for the purpose of retirement submitted by Jefferson Primary School teachers Kathleen Kraus and Patricia Sweeney and SEARCH program chairperson-teacher Maryann Daly. The three longtime faculty members will be retiring at the end of the school year in June. Trustees took the action during a public meeting this past Monday night in the Jack Abrams STEM Magnet School auditorium.
Eileen DeAngelis, secretary to the principal at Huntington High School was also approved to retire, effective at the close of business on May 14.
Trustees also took the following actions:
• Approved a memorandum of agreement on a new contract with the district’s nurse’s bargaining unit. The agreement covers July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2020.
• Approved a retirement incentive for members of the district’s chairperson’s bargaining unit.
• Approved a retirement incentive for members of the Associated Teachers of Huntington.
• Approved an updated extension of the district’s professional development plan through the 2017/18 school year. The extended plan incorporates the state’s new continuing teacher and leader education requirements.
• Approved a new high school course for the 2017/18 school year. Introduction to Computer Programming will be offered to incoming freshmen next September.
• Accepted a donation from the Kaufman family in the amount of $987.45 to be credited to the Flower Hill School lunch account.
• Approved an increase in the hourly rate of pay from $10.50 to $12.50 for those working at the district’s budget vote/trustee election. “This change reflects the current rate of pay consistent with the Suffolk County Board of Elections pay scale,” Assistant Superintendent Kathleen Acker said.
• Authorized the addition of Variations Dance Studio to the district’s list of organizations approved to use school facilities.
• Approved teacher Marta Herrera to provide home tutoring services during 2016/17. She will be paid $51.20 per hour.
• Approved Travis Hefele to work as an athletic supervisor at games. He will be paid $33.14 per hour.
• Appointed Howard Quinn as a teacher aide at Southdown Primary School.
• Appointed Addie Blocker as a 12-month clerk typist in the guidance office at Huntington High School.
• Authorized school nurses Linda Amarante and Carolyn Muller to each work up to seven additional hours for services related to spring sports physical and re-qualifications. They will be paid at the rate of $28.14 per hour.
• Authorized clericals Clara Krapf and Maryanne O’Mara to work up to six days between March 14 and May 23 on the district’s kindergarten registration. They will be paid $10.50 per hour.
• Authorized Timothy Roberts (custodian), Lisa Masler (clerical), Angela O’Connell (clerical) and Kiera Nicosia (daily recurring substitute teacher) to be added to the district’s list of substitute employees.
• Awarded bids for a variety of printed forms and publications, including Huntington High School’s commencement program, The Dispatch student newspaper, senior academic awards night program, district calendar, budget notice, transportation guide and adult education program brochure.
• Established a facility use rate of $900 for SCOPE to provide child care services during the 2017/18 school year.
• Accepted a donation from the Huntington Foundation for Excellence in Education in the amount of $4,116.27 to support six mini-grants submitted by district teachers.