The Huntington Booster Club is giving the Blue Devil athletic program a proverbial shot in the arm.
The Booster Club has donated $55,560 to the district for 12 separate initiatives that will benefit Huntington athletes for many years to come. Huntington School Board members accepted the donation during a public meeting in the Jack Abrams STEM Magnet School this past Monday night.
“We extend our sincerest thanks to the Booster Club for its considerable generosity and ongoing support of our students and athletic programs,” Huntington Superintendent James W. Polansky said. “We hope all will join at the upcoming Booster Club dinner on October 19. It’s the group's primary fundraiser and this year it will be honoring Judge Jerry Asher.”
The donated monies were generated by the Booster Club at the organization’s past annual fall galas, concession stand sales during athletic events, the sale of Blue Devil gear from the group’s famed white trailer, the sale of banners encircling Blue Devil Stadium, membership dues and individual and group sponsorships and donations.
The donation covers the following items:
• Six-man football sled: $8,400
• Large Blue Devil canopy: $900
• Fitness and wellness equipment: $3,355
• Field hockey goals: $2,658.38
• Field hockey portable practice goals: $895
• Baseball/softball indoor batting cages: $6,385
• Pole vault and hurdle track equipment: $4,112.85
• J. Taylor Finley Middle School scoreboard: $15,000
• Tennis tournament ball-port travel cart: $143.99
• Lacrosse uniforms: $5,760
• Girls’ and boys’ track and field warm-up suits: $6,450
• Girls’ basketball warm-up suits: $1,500
The Huntington Booster Club is headed by President Timothy Pillion. The organization’s officers include Michele Deegan (membership), Susan Gerbavsits (grant coordinator), Tiffany Annunziata (treasurer), Lauren Meagher (Finley merchandise coordinator), Julie LaBella (special events/annual dinner coordinator), Joe Mattio (field house/technology coordinator), Kelly Paci (merchandise coordinator), Meredith Hassett (merchandise coordinator) and Erik Krisch (marketing coordinator).