Huntington School District officials are prepping for the development of the 2017/18 budget that will fund operations for 4,600 students spread across grades K-12.
Central office administrators have shared a budget development calendar with Huntington School Board members. It outlines the timeline that will be used during creation of next year’s financial plan.
The calendar includes the following dates:
- Budget worksheets distributed to principals, directors and central administration.
- Deadline for submission of draft budgets to business office.
- Principals present their budget to central office officials.
- Superintendent’s tax levy limit presentation to Huntington School Board.
- Working budget presented to Huntington Board of Education.
- Huntington School Board meeting: Overview of budget for Board of Education, central administration and transportation.
- Huntington School Board meeting: Overview of employee benefits, debt service, inter-fund transfer and capital projects
- Huntington School Board meeting: Overview of instruction and staffing
- Approval of propositions other than the budget to be placed on the ballot.
- Huntington School Board meeting: Overview of revenues and overall budget review.
- Huntington School Board meeting: Adoption of budget.
- Public hearing on budget at Jack Abrams STEM Magnet School at 7:30 p.m.
- Budget vote by residents at Huntington High School from 6 a.m.–9 p.m.
Each of the budget meetings will begin at 7:30 p.m. and be held in the Jack Abrams STEM Magnet School auditorium on Lowndes Avenue in Huntington Station. The public is welcome to attend and will be given an opportunity to address the trustees.