Washington Primary School second graders participating in Huntington UFSD’s after school reading program are having a grand time. The group is having so much fun they even qualify as “budding authors.”
“When students are exposed to mentor texts that they are interested in, they are able to develop creative writing pieces,” teacher Melissa Studdert said. The youngsters took delight in learning about folktales.
The second graders participated in shared reading lessons based around popular folktales such as Goldilocks and the Three Bears, The Little Red Hen and Chicken Little. “They heard different versions of the stories and enjoyed comparing and contrasting them,” Ms. Studdert said. “They also looked for commonalities between all folktales such as patterns of threes, talking animals, and morals. After each story students composed a creative writing piece. Writing entries were made into a ‘Telling Tales’ book to commemorate all of their hard work.”
Donations to the District . . .
Huntington School Board members accepted a pair of donations to the district during a public meeting held earlier this week in the Adam Spector Auditorium at Jack Abrams STEM Magnet School.
Huntington High School alum Michael Chieffo donated $1,000 and asked that it be used to purchase art supplies for use at Flower Hill Primary School.
Ms. Joan Kuver donated $2,000 to be credited to the Alan Kuver Fencing Scholarship Fund at Huntington High School. Ms. Kuver is the mother of Mr. Kuver, who passed away on July 1, 2014.
Advisors Appointed . . .
Huntington School Board members approved several appointments during their meeting this past Monday night.
- Jennifer Bendersky was named the Highsteppers assistant coach.
- Helen Guarino was appointed the Huntington High School English Honor Society’s faculty advisor.
- Christopher DeVeau was named J. Taylor Finley Middle School’s stage crew advisor.
- Kimberly Finneran and Keith Miller were appointed J. Taylor Finley Middle School’s student government faculty advisors.
- Regina Murnane was named J. Taylor Finley Middle School’s yearbook club advisor.
- Hosun Moon Lee was appointed musical choral director for the Huntington High School drama club’s spring musical.
- Brian Stellato was named music instrumental director for the high school drama club’s spring musical.
Retirements and Resignations . . .
Several Huntington UFSD employees had their requests to retire or resign approved during the Huntington School Board’s public meeting this past Monday night.
Longtime district elementary school teachers Diane Grassi and Elaine McKeown are retiring at the end of June.
Lynn Geraci (account clerk typist), Jasmin Garcia (food service worker), Jacqueline Silvers (school nurse) and John Suozzi (teaching assistant) all had their resignation requests approved.
Huntington Robotics Schedule . . .
The Huntington High School robotics team is currently building its robot for the 2019 competitive season. The Blue Devils will be working on it for the next six weeks.
Huntington Robotics plans to compete in the Hudson Valley regional on March 21-24 and in the Long Island regional at Hofstra University on March 27-30. The FIRST Robotics world championships are set for Detroit, Michigan on April 23-28.