The Huntington boys’ indoor track and field team captured first place honors at the Suffolk Frosh/Soph Championships at Suffolk-West in Brentwood on Sunday.
Ron Wilson is the head coach of the Huntington boys' winter track team.
While the Blue Devils were impressive in the freshman division, they were downright awesome in the sophomore competition. The two scores combined put them ahead of every other team participating in the championships.
Huntington’s freshman highlights included:
- The Blue Devils’ 4x200m relay consisting of freshmen Adrian Angueira, Quincy Chery, Collin Garcia and Jahiem Hawkins finished in first place in a time of 1:47.60. The field included 10 teams.
- Eighth grader Samuel James took second place in the 600m run in a time of 1:35.27, less than a second off Middle County freshman Geffrey Alpers winning time of 1:34.86. The field included 20 entries.
- In the 300m dash, freshman Bryce Robinson (fourth place in 40.57 seconds) and seventh grader Jahmar Francis (sixth place in 41.12) finished among the leaders. The event drew 48 entries.
- Freshman Quincy Chery finished fourth in a field of 71 in the 55m hurdles in a time of 10.10 seconds.
- Freshman Josiah Melendez placed fifth in the 55m dash in a time of 7.23 seconds.
Huntington’s sophomore highlights included:
- Trevan Meagher won the Suffolk sophomore championship in high jump with a personal best leap of 6-00 feet.
- CJ Kiviat finished first in the 600m run in the splendid time of 1:28.57. The race drew 29 entries.
- Isaiah James placed first in the 1000m run in a time of 2:47.51. Teammate Andrew McKenzie finished fourth in 2:49.06. The race drew 31 entries.
- Huntington’s 4x400m relay consisting of CJ Kiviat, Jahmar Francis, Jason Turner and Isaiah James finished first in a time of 3:39.03. The race drew 22 entries.
- Huntington’s 4x200m relay consisting of Nasir Youngblood, Josiah Melendez, Anthony Joseph and Bryce Robinson finished first in a time of 1:38.56. The event drew 22 entries.
- Nasir Youngblood placed third in a field of 68 in the 55m dash in a time of 7.02 seconds.
- In the 300m dash, CJ Kiviat finished second in 38.02 seconds and Jason Turner placed 10 th in 39.76 seconds. The race drew 48 entries.
- Anthony Joseph (19-01.00 feet) and Nasir Youngblood (18-08.00 feet) placed second and third, respectively in long jump.